Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Kerri's Birthday Bash Blog Train!

Welcome to this stop along Kerri's Birthday Bash Blog Train!! You should have arrived from the starting point: http://kerripowell.blogspot.com/ Kerri is one of the amazingly talented ladies on my CT!! And you probably also recognize her as the artist behind all the WordArt in the store! I hope you enjoy your stay! I have A LOT to share with you, and it's all from just 1 birthday party! Crazy! But I tend to go a bit overboard with birthday's and themes so when Kerri asked me to participate in her Birthday Blog Train I knew I had to share my sons 6th birthday party, and this was a good reason to get me in gear and get it all posted (since I still haven't shared my younger son's 2nd Dr. Suess themed party) So the theme for this awesome 6th birthday party was "Monster Scientist" and you can bet I used my cute scrap kit "Monster Scientist" to help make lots of the decorations and goodies!!! You can find that kit in my store HERE. So here we go with all the party details! It all starts with the invitation. We sent these cuties out, I simply designed them as 5 x 7 and had them printed out at my local photo finisher. I made some adorable matching return address labels and address labels so that the outside of the envelope was just as cute as what was to come on the inside! I even printed out cute stickers that said "caution" "radioactive" and "toxic" which we put on the outside of the envelopes, it was only after I stuck them in the mail that I thought maybe it wasn't a good idea to have a sticker that says toxic on a piece of mail!!! EEEK! LOL But no worries, everyone got their invite!
I created this poster as a 12 x 16 photo and just had it printed out at Sams...for just $2.95! How awesome is that, a custom poster that matched the birthday theme for just a few dollars! This sign welcomed everyone at the front door along with this:
Everyone had to scan their hand before they came in the house! A very cute touch, the kids all loved it! And now this sign is on my son's bedroom door, which he loves!
The kids then entered our foyer which was the scientist check in station. My son had a clipboard (totally customized to match the party with his name and everything, I don't think I got a picture of that...but I will!) And he helped check everyone in. When the kids arrived they told my dad their name and he fit them with their "scientist" hair! Most of the kids actually wore it, it was adorable! My mom then typed their name into the computer, where we had set up a website that speaks whatever you type in...so when they came in the computer said to them "Doctor Zachary is confirmed, you may now enter the lab" They LOVED hearing the computer say their name!!
I had a bunch of different stations set up to do different experiments, we split the kids into groups of 3 and they rotated around to each different station. We finished off with the "invent a sundae bar" which I think was my most favorite to set up and look at! Check out that radioactive juice!! It's just lemonade that I colored green with food coloring, because believe it or not you can't get green juice mix or green juice anywhere around here! We put some dry ice in it right before it was time to eat for that extra special effect! We had tons of candies and sprinkles to choose from to create the ultimate sundae, and all this before lunch...were we cool or what?
Here are some of the other stations, at the top...slime, the kids loved making slime and islly putty! In the middle, my most favorite was the "Boo Bubbles" We had this cool jug that we filled wtih water and put dry ice in, and then using the smoke from the dry ice through the tube we were able to actually blow bubbles with the smoke, so the bubbles were smoke filled! And the kids could actually hold them!!! IT. WAS. AWESOME! And when they popped the smoke would fall otu and disappear! They could even throw them up in the air and catch them some times! Very very cool! And at the bottom was instant snow, the stuff was cool, it went from this small amount of white powder, add a bit of water and poof! a huge amount of snow!
We used our chocolate fountain and dyed some white chocolate green to make a nuclear slime fountain, it was yummy! I made a cute banner for the mantle that said happy birthday, sorry no close up pictures of that...and then a cute sign for the drinks too...I also made soda bottle wrappers and labels but forgot to take a picture of those!
Look at all the cute scientists! Here youc an see the check in station and my little scientist ready for his party...ah and there is the clipboard! It's my favorite thing I made so I will definitely have to take some better pictures and do a post just about that!
I also made scientist observation notebooks for each kid, these were very cool but probably my most involved project! There was a page for each station and experiment we did so they could take notes, lots of kids did take notes and really enjoyed the book!
Oh! Another one of my favorite things! I made each of the kids an official name tag! So the front said "doctor Zachary, group black (or whatever color group they were in) and then the date o the party made to look like some sort of official code! Then the back said Zachary's Monster Scientist 6th Birthday Party, all in a cute plasic badge holder! I even made some for all of the "professors" that helped me out that day!
And of course the goody bag was packed full of fun! Top down left to right: 1.The goody bags all lined up, I made 3 X 3 labels for all of them with the kids names and they said thanks for making my birthday so explosive. 2. the goody bag with all the goodies! 3. slime container, I found these adorable tiny containers at the $1 and then I made lables for them to identify what was in them! 4. Silly putty, again cute container and I made a label 5. radioactive rods, really just 5 glow sticks tied together :) 6. potion number 6, test tubes filled with candies and a fun label on them 7. those cool pellets you drop in water and a spongy creature emerges, I made a cute mini bag topper to give instructions for what to do with them. 8. jelly crystals, again $1 store container with a cute label 9. UV beads, they are white until exposed to UV light then they change color! Very cool!
Here you can see some of the decorations we put up! 1. The entryway was pretty much sections off. We hung plastic painters drop cloths and cut slits in them, then hung caution tape, and hung green balloons upside down from the ceiling to look like nuclear droplets! in the top right picture you can see our glow station, we made a PVC pipe fort a while back and it worked perfect for this part of the party! I put up a black light inside and covered it with tons of blankets, and then in the bottom middle and right photos you can see inside. We had neon pipe cleaners, neon straws, I made home made glow in the dark play doh in 4 colors, neon pom pons, highlighter markers and soem white paper (that was pretty cool) and then a bowl full of jelly crystals that were hydrated with tonic water...tonic water glows under a black light! (I learned lots of cool sciency stuff planning this party, we will be making glow in the dark jello in the near future!) In the middle left I just placced jars full of glow sticks around for decoration and labeled the jars "radioactive rods" and in the middle right you can see our "specimen" jars, I got some of those grow in water creatures...stuck them in the jar a few days before the party and by party time they were so huge they looked like gross science experiments in a jar!
Ah no party of mine is complete without a cool cake to go with it. Another hobby of mine is making fancy cakes! So this year we had the monster cake, it was actually one of my easier cakes i have made! It turned out so cute, I just loved it! And so did the birthday boy, who requested that he have an eye to eat too!
And of course we complete it all with the thank you's. I made these 4 x 6, and printed them from just .13 each! Here is the front
And then here is the back, I taped them together and had my little guy write who it was to and his name, so somewhat customized, he took part in part of the writing of them, but not too much!

And finally here is the last picture of him as a 5 year old :( He's growing way too fast! I am not quite sure how I will top this party, but I say that ater every party, and every party gets better and better. I know I won't always be able to do this for my kids, whether it be for reasons beyond my control, or that they just get older and want to do other things for their birthday. So while I can, i will keep throwing these birthday parties for them because I absolutely love to do it :) I hope you enjoyed looking through our Monster Scientist birthday party!



Your next stop on the blog train is: http://touchedbyabutterfly.com/ Celeste! Celeste is currently a guest on my CT for February and March, so be sure to check out her layouts using my kits, she is doing awesome!

This post paticipating in these linky parties:
http://www.skiptomylou.org/, http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/, http://www.creatingreallyawesomefreethings.com/, http://makingtheworldcuter.com/, http://craftomaniac.blogspot.com/, http://sewchatty.blogspot.com/

24 comments:

  1. You are AWESOME and totally outdid yourself with the party! What size were your food signs? Also, I'm creating the "official race ids" for Michael's party...picked up the lanyards this past week but haven't gotten the badge holders yet. Where did you find those? I saw some at Hobby Lobby but they didn't look too clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I thougth I had mad some cool birthday parties...but this takes the cake...well done...thanks for sharing...KtsAngels at cableone dot net...or KtsAngels.Blogspot.com...ttfn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, the party looks amazing! How can I hire you to do the boy's party? I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food labels were made as 5 x 7 then I cut cardstock 10.5 x 7.5 and scored at 5.25 so it left a little border around it :) I try to do everything I can on 4 x 6 or 5 x 7, or that I can cut in half from those :) So all the station lables were 5 x 7 this time, then I got the clear badge holders at office depot, they came in a pack of 12 :) Glad you liked the party! I can't wait to see Michael's party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What an amazing party. So many fabulous ideas!!! You're awesome, your son and his friends must think you are the coolest mom ever! I'm a new follower! Thanks for sharing...newwave1 at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH wow you really went all out for this party... Everything is sooooo Fabulous. I love it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! LOVE this so much, you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!!! WOW!! That's is SO amazing! You must be THE coolest mom around! I'll bet not many children turn down an invitation to one of your parties! I know I wouldn't! I LOVE IT ALL! The invites, the checkin station (SO COOL!) and all the fun experiments! And I must say - your talents don't stop at paper rafts - your cake is awesome! Than k you so much for all the inspiration (I daren't show my children or I'll be spending the next 3 months planning their parties!) :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lucky 5 year old you have - awesome everything!!The best part is 20 years from now there will be a record of it..lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow Amanda! What an incredible party! You are DA MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love it all! What a great party! amazing work!
    <3 Pam
    MzLavr2@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you had thought of EVERYTHING! You made such good use of your kit, and I love all the little touches that you added to make everything tied together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness!! What a great theme for a birthday party!! I love it oh and that cake!!! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! What a fun party! Totally love all the details. New follower.

    Hugs,
    Patty
    creativediva98.blogspot.com
    creativediva98 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amanda!!! WOW is an understatement!! and yes like Catherine said EXPLOSSIVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! Awesome! Almost makes me want grandbabies, Almost, not quite, LOL
    Love all of your designs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome birthday party! Wish I was six again..lol!! You did a fanastic job! This is one of my favorite kits of yours! Glad I own it! My brother just had a baby girl in January so it'll be a couple of years yet before we can throw b-day parties, but am definetly gonna keep your ideas in mind. Wish I knew how you did that bubbler trick - so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stacey, the boo bubbles is a cool contraption I bought from Steve Spangler Science :) you just need some dry ice everything else comes in the kit! It was very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my gosh!! you are the coolest mom:-) those poor other mothers must hate you, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, your son is always gonna look back on this with happy memories... You really put your all into that party! It's amazing! and yup, I LOVE that cake, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...